1. Welcome to Planet Cyrene Forum!

You appear to be browsing cyreneforum.com as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions?

Already a member? Login Now!

Forum downtime - Dec 17th / Dec 18th

Discussion in 'About Planet Cyrene Forum' started by SchmitzIT, Nov 5, 2022.

1. SchmitzIT
    • Administrator
    • Cyrene Pioneer

SchmitzIT Member Staff Member
    Nerdy

Well, following our failed January attempt at upgrading, I am finally ready to try again. This time it's more by necessity, because our host is going to straight up remove the currently supported version of PHP that the forum runs on, and unless we take action, the forum would turn into a bunch of errors.

I'm going to try a different approach this time, and instead of attempting an in-place upgrade, I'll do an import of the forum into the latest version of XenForo. This basically means I will be setting up a XenForo 2.* installation on a different server, import all the content from the Xenforo 1.* forum, and once that is done, switch the domain name over to the new host, and copy/paste the 2.* forum over to the new host.

This will mean the forum will be off-line while the operation takes place. Our very own all-time favorite Kris will be on standby to console and comfort me whenever anything goes wrong (and let's face it, with my proven track record, shit is bound to break left and right), kind words of encouragement, and a big cattle prod to ensure I won't be slacking during the process. Oh yeah, and he will also handle the DNS transfer for us.

So if in a few weeks, you notice the forum not being responsive, why not go hang out on EntropiaPlanets for a few days?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  2. Shawna | Cyrene
    • Cyrene Staff
    • Community Manager

Shawna | Cyrene Cyrene Official Planet Developer
    Sunshine

Lead Game Design, Community Manager
    Good luck SchmitzIT, I'll be cheering for you!!!:cheer::cheer:

3. demonakasha
    • Cyrene Pioneer

demonakasha New Member
    Cold