1. Welcome to Planet Cyrene Forum!

You appear to be browsing cyreneforum.com as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions?

Already a member? Login Now!

Happy New Year

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by San, Dec 31, 2016.

1. San
    • Cyrene Pioneer

San Sandal San Tolk

Home Page:
    Society:
    OldTimers
    In German we wish each other a "good slide" into the new year. Normally I don't care much, just another date used as excuse for some merrymaking. But I feel this time things are a bit different. The real world is going to hell in a handbasket. It has been deteriorating slowly for about 20 years, for about 2 years now it is deteriorating fast. Next year will bring about some changes, for better or even worse. Meanwhile, VR and games are getting ever more immersive and exciting. We can't upload ourselves into dreamland just yet, but who knows.

Thanks to the C-team and everybody else involved working under the hood. I think you're doing a more important job than you realize. This and other games aren't just games, they are pretty backdrops for meeting places. They are to the drab social network site what the internet is to the old marketplace under the linden tree. They help you not forget that there are people out there who, with all their quirks, have more sanity than the totally bonkers, out-of-control bunch which claims to rule this side of the screen.

The freedom of thought is the last and only true freedom. They know it and therefore attack it left, right and center. We must never let them win. We can use the mental impulse gained to push back on the madness going on outside. And this is what I think will begin to happen on a greater scale soon. Not that it hasn't been there since the dawn of the internet, but it still hasn't reached full potential, some of the tools are even used against us and to prop up old-school dictatorship. Like Gandalf on the stone bridge, we must tell them: "You cannot pass!"

With that said, back to our little mental home. Very much looking forward to this planet coming out of its pupa state! All the best and success in 2017!

See you on the other side...